Dossier # 3 for V
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
I am working on doing a whole new dossier for V - again. This is number 3 for her adoption.

It is almost ridiculous the difference between D's (one little skinny) dossier and V's (big stack that need their own drawer) dossiers.

I am almost finished.

Then it's off to Austin for apostilles. Again I say "praise God" for the law that was enacted right before we submitted the first batch of apostilles for V's adoption. There is a $100 cap on apostilles per adoption/per child in the state of Texas. I'm sending 32 documents to be apostilled and before this cap that would have been another $320 right there. We would have been over $1,000 total (so far) for apostilles on this adoption if it weren't for that cap!

April 5, 2006 is the latest date in our most recent dossier. So, it's going to be all new and improved - again!

**Edited to add - We live a little over 5 hours from Austin so we will (and usually do) send the dossier package overnight via Fed-#x and include a prepaid overnight mailer for the Secretary of State to send it back. We have done the trip to Austin and made it an overnighter 3 times in our adoption adventures. That was in the case of a hurry up document. Thankfully we don't live in El Paso, though! That would be one doozie of a trip!!
12 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
Praise God for the small blessings.

Blogger Esther said...
Yes, I'm thankful some states have enacted that law. Here in WA, I've spent over $2000 on apostilles. It's really sad & counter productive if you ask me to charge folks that much money for paperwork, here in our state.

Blogger Rachael said...
We are lucky that in Michigan apostilles only cost $1 per document. We are unlucky in that we have to drive 2 hours to get them, so everytime we need a new document, it's a day trip.
Hopefully third times a charm for you!

Blogger Allison said...
I'm glad you're dossier is almost complete. I'm hoping this means V is coming home soon. I will continue to pray for her and your family. I'll NEVER understand why this process has to be so difficult.

Blogger mommyto5 said...
Praying this is the last time 3rd time is a charm! We had to redo our 3x too:) Yes love the cap here definately every little bit of savings helped. We are 3 hour dirve to Austin and hubbie started just making the trip cause we did have one bad experience where fed ex lost our docs, found them few days later thankfully. Best wishes and prayers that you can get V soon!

Blogger Calico Sky said...
Hoping and Praying this is the very very last time!

Blogger Deb said...
We're only about 2.5-3 hours to Austin and I plan to take the drive with a friend this time around, simply because I love Austin.
And this better be the last time you have to do all this. No hoping here it's a must.

Blogger JEN said...
I understand your pain. We had to re-do our dossier as well, and then we immediately got our referral, so maybe this paperwork is just helping you keep your mind off of other things...??? ( Trying to stay positive)
I always felt like the trip was the easy part, but the paperwork was the real killer because you have nothing, in hand, to show why you are doing all of this meaningless paperwork. And for who? I also often wondered if they REALLY go through all of this paperwork. Hummmm....
Gotta do it....You can do it!!!!
:)Jen

Blogger 6blessings said...
Ugh! More paperwork! I do like that capping the amount off. I just wished that it would travel northward one state. We are $20 per paper, no limit. I thought about sneaking south of the border and trying to talk them into doing ours too. I'm sure that wouldn't have gone over too well. In the end, we spent approximately $1000 in apostilles between the 2 dossiers for each boy plus redoing all of the papers Fedex lost on their way to Russia.

Sorry that you had to redo everything. But, this is the last time. I still pray daily for reaccreditation and that you are first on the list.

Blogger Maggie said...
I'm tired just thinking about doing three dossiers.

Blogger Dede said...
We are sending our 2nd one to Austin next week. I hear you on being thankful for the cost cap! Now we just need to get FedEx to put a cap on their part. ;-)

Blogger Jenni said...
What a bear! I can't believe you've had to do 3 dossiers! The cap is nice though. In California, there is no cap, and the cost is $20 per document. We spent over $3000 in apostilles for our adoption. Crazy.

I hope this third time's a charm!


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™