Random Russia Photos
Thursday, March 29, 2007




Saint Basil's Cathedral through the Autumn trees. October, 2006.













The view from our train window of another train across the platform.








Inside the first class coupe. Although you can't see it, this coupe has only two beds instead of the bunks. We never request first class, I think it's just what they had available at the time. We actually prefer second class because it has the four bunks and more space for stuff!

If you click this link http://www.rzd.ru/images/flash/ wait for it to load and the click the green button. It is a really neat site with a tour of the train station starting in Moscow and on to Vladivostock. It's not the same station we take or the same route, but the train is very similar. The way the station looks is similar too!

Only no train I've ever ridden is that nice. It must be the cream of the crop! But it's laid out the same. If you click on the one where you see the attendant stick his head out of his coupe, then scan to the left. That tank looking thing is where you get your boiling water for Chai just FYI.

Make sure your sound is turned up, it sounds JUST LIKE THAT! Memories! The echoey sound of the announcement is so realistic.

On that first platform thing, if you click the attendant outside the train (scroll to the far left) you will hear what I think is the Russian National Anthem.
6 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
Thanks for posting these pics. I always love seeing pictures of the place I will one day be.
I love the train. Your picture looks just like the one on the site just a bit older and perhaps dirtier.

Blogger U.N. Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger U.N. Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger U.N. Mama said...
Sorry about that- the above deletes are from me! Trying again-

Thanks for the great website! Memories- had me in tears.
No, that is not the national anthem however. I found you a link where you can hear it though:
http://encarta.msn.com/media_461538265/Russia_Flag_
and_Anthem.html

They returned in recent years to the old Soviet tune- same tune as Soviet days, different lyrics.

Blogger Calico Sky said...
Neat! I have always had a very lovely feeling about Russia, maybe one of the reasons I was drawn to it as a country to adopt from!

Blogger Allison said...
These pictures bring back such sweet memories for me!
I enjoyed the website too. I can't imagine riding a train as nice as that though:)
Thanks for sharing!


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™