I made Borscht
Thursday, September 14, 2006



Oh my goodness. My house smells like Russia this morning and I am proud of my creation. It tastes sooo yummy, I'm surprised I did it the right way!
It is a little paler red than I've had before but I wonder if that is because I cheated and used canned beets? I've never touched a "real" beet in my life! I cheated, too, a bit in that I didn't have fresh dill so I used dried. But the smell and taste are taking me back! I just sit here eating, smelling and looking at the picture of our whole family taken on the last day we were with V. And Oh, the sour cream just makes it! You have to have just enough sour cream, I had to add a bit to that dab in the picture. I wish I had smell-o-puter so you could smell it.
Suzanne has challenged me and I feel like I need to learn to cook a few Russian foods so that V will feel at home. I think I have a winner with this one!
11 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
I've never had Borscht before. It looks so good. Yum!

Blogger Melissa said...
I haven't had borscht since I was a kid. My grandfather used to love it. I guess I will have to borrow your recipe so I can make it when we get home with our little ones. I remember it being more purple in color, but maybe my memory is a little off. Can you send me a bowl?

Blogger Suz said...
Yes it is usually a dark purply red color, that's what I said about mine being paler, I think because I used the canned beets. I'll branch out next time and do "real" beets.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
Looks good --- can you share your recipe?

Blogger U.N. Mama said...
waaaaa I want some and don't want to make it! Actually, dh usually makes it when we have it.

Blogger 6blessings said...
Looks good. Very pretty.

Blogger Suz said...
UN - ask dh if it's pale because I used the canned beets? It's even paler now after sitting overnight in the fridge.

Blogger Laura said...
I love Borscht. I made it one, and I can't remember the color mine came out. It looks really good!
Laura

Blogger U.N. Mama said...
Hey! He said he's made it with canned, and it didn't turn pale though :o/ Did you put sour cream in each bowl or in the soup itself? If in the whole pot, that's why.

Blogger Rhonda said...
It looks GREAT. I wish I had a smell-o-puter also. Yum!

Blogger sandy said...
Yum! Please share the recipe when you get a chance. I have some fresh beets out in the garden and I'd love to try making it.


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™