Thinking Back . . .
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Steve over on A Dad's Journey brought up the idea of "bulking" up a bit in order to carry around a toddler who will probably be around 20 pounds at the time they come home. This got me to remembering back when D came home. D weighed 15.5 pounds when she came home at Eleven-months-old. But it only took me a week or so to realize that was WAY more than I was accustomed to carrying for prolonged periods of time. After a week or so I began to have terrible pains in my wrist area. It got so I couldn't pick her up the usual way, using the area between my thumb and forefinger with my thumbs as leverage. It took me a while to realize what had caused the pain. When new moms (and dads) come home with a new baby the usual way, that baby starts out around 6-9 pounds and you are able to work your muscles up as the child grows. But starting out with a baby/child over a year old, well, that child is just going to be bigger. So, although I don't know what to reccommend for priming your "picking up" muscles, I did want to share that so you can be prepared if it happens to you.

In order to try and forego this problem when V comes home, I've just been continuing to pick D up whenever she asks. She weighs 38 pounds now, so I ought to be pretty strong, right!? People laugh at me for carrying D still, but I'm of the mindset that one day she is going to quit asking and I will have picked her up or carried her for the last time. As long as I'm physically able, I'm going to do it.

Till later . . .
3 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
I think about that about every day as I remind myself that I should be on a diet and working out in preparation. But I always figure I have plenty of time so I put it off till tomorrow.

I had never thought about picking them up until they just stop asking. Makes sense when you say it but I can imagine the looks you get from some people.

Blogger Jenni said...
The first 2 months with our son and daughter were marked by constant back pain in both my husband and I. Carrying around a 3 year old and 4 year old can be a lot of work! Especially when they are building trust and keep pretending to fall backwards so that you can catch them. :) Wish I had gottn Steve's advice before we went to pick up our kids!

Blogger Jennefer said...
I guess I should start doing lots of push ups.


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™