It’s Fun To Be FIVE
Friday, July 07, 2006
Recently D has done quite a few things that have made me giggle. I’ve decided to try and capture them in pictures so that we can always remember this wonderful stage of her life. I know one day this fabulous five-year-old will be replaced by a surly sixteen-year-old and we’ll only wish for the days of such quirkiness.

So, I thought I would share some of these delightful moments here since who.knows.when I’ll ever get around to scrapbooking these precious memories.

Sparkly Shoes and Mickey Mouse Ears-
First for the shoes. D has had these "hoochie-mama" sparkly dress up shoes since she was about two-years-old. She never has shown much interest in playing with them, but all the times before it looked nearly like she was wearing MY shoes they were so huge on her. But she found them again a few weeks ago in the bottom of the toy box and they’ve been the fashion of choice ever since. They fit perfectly now, but will be outgrown in a few days the way her feet are growing lately! She wore these shoes to the Public Library and the grocery store on Monday. The clippity-clomp could be heard for aisles around. As we were walking down the frozen food aisle she said, and imagine the Texas twang here... "Woo, my feet are killing me. I’m going to have to put my feet in the water machine (foot massage) when we get home!" She got several smiles from the other customers choosing frozen pizza and ice cream, along with Mommy.

Now for the ears. For the last several weeks, D has decided that we need (not want - need) to do a "craft of the day." She’s kind of bossy and loves to do all the preparing for the craft, but then likes to direct the other participant (usually me) in how to do it just so. Martha Stewart, watch out! So, I found these mouse ears on http://www.playhousedisney.com/ and after coloring them in just so, punching the holes and stringing the twine through we had a successful craft of the day. So, when I decided to take a picture of her wearing her sparkly shoes, she said, "wait! I need my ears too!"

Jammie Time- One good thing about having a five year old is that they are becoming much more independent at this age. So, when I say, "D, it’s jammie time." She hops right up and runs to her room and gets herself ready for bed. The other night her choice was a little different than usual. She had chosen her Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer jammies and a knit stocking cap that Grandma had made last winter. Of course my first instinct was to declare, "what on earth do you have on!" But in choosing my battles I changed it to, "my what an interesting choice you’ve made tonight!" So, off to bed she went with hubby saying, "are we going to let her wear that to bed?!" Why not? What’s it gonna hurt? Around midnight I hear "Mommmmmyyyyyy" and a very sweaty D is ready to trade Rudolph for a short sleeved t-shirt and a nice drink of water. Remember, we live in Texas and it’s July!

Till later . . .
4 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
LOL! She is so cute!

Blogger Elle said...
too funny. Great craft ideas and projects at crayola.com. Also find yourself a Big Yellow Box consultant in the area. Don't know if you have heard of this or not, but check it out. www.bigyellowbox.com. I was a consultant with them for all of about 2 months. Then the big January funk hit and all my stuff is still cluttering my garage.

I love the craft of the day idea! You think I can get the boy to participate in one?

Blogger Jennefer said...
Love the hat! What a darling girl you have there.

Blogger Maggie said...
She's so cute.

One of my co-workers came to work with his two boys one day. The younger one was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, mittens, scarf, hat, and rain boots. I gave my co-worker a look and he simply said "you pick your battles." So Rudolf pajamas in July? Great choice!


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™