Info on Infant Attachment
Sunday, May 20, 2007
Infant Attachment Checklist Copyright by Walter D. Buenning, Ph.D., 1999

Symptom Examples
Adoptive moms share examples from their children's daily lives. Just a few of these symptoms may indicate a problem. Please consult with an attachment therapist if you have concerns about your child.

*I have indicated (below in red) those areas where we had to work with D when she came home at age 11 months. It took about 2 months for her to become "normal" in most of these areas. She still has a rather high tolerance for pain. It took her probably 6-8 months before she would "hold on" in a normal fashion (#14 below) when we carried her. She would grasp our shirt at the shoulder instead of holding us back. This was probably the most painful transition for me emotionally, but I had to realize, she just didn't know how!

I wanted to share that these things CAN be and most times ARE worked through. The main thing is that you are prepared and educated beforehand and even though you can't help but take it personally and feel hurt and rejected REMEMBER the child doesn't KNOW how to love you back, they have to be taught and LOVE TEACHES LOVE.

Sometimes it takes more than love and your family may need attachment therapy and there is NO SHAME in that. Get your child whatever help they need. Again, prepare for the worst and hope for the best! We were prepared to deal with WAY MORE than what D presented to us and we were happily relieved.

On Dr. Buenning's website, you may download a pdf file and print this checklist as well as a separate symptom checklist designed for children ages 5 years & older.

Each symptom is on a continuum from 0-10. Individual symptoms may present from mild to severe.
  • 1. Cries; miserable all the time, chronically fussy
  • 2. Resists comforting or nurturance
  • 3. Resists or dislikes being held
  • 4. Poor eye contact or avoids eye contact
  • 5. Flat, lifeless affect (too quiet)
  • 6. Likes playpen or crib more than being held
  • 7. Rarely cries (overly good baby)
  • 8. Angry or rageful when cries
  • 9. Exceedingly demanding
  • 10. Looks sad or empty-eyed
  • 11. Wants to hold bottle as soon as possible
  • 12. Stiffens or becomes rigid when held
  • 13. Prefers being held with back toward mother
  • 14. Does not hold on when being held (no reciprocal holding)
  • 15. When held chest to chest, faces away
  • 16. Does not return or reciprocate hugs
  • 17. Generally unresponsive to parent
  • 18. Cries or rages when held beyond his wishes
  • 19. Overly independent play or makes no demands
  • 20. Reaches for others to hold him rather than parent
  • 21. Little or reduced verbal responsiveness
  • 22. Does not return smiles
  • 23. Shows very little imitative behavior
  • 24. Prefers Dad to Mom
  • 25. Gets in and out of parents lap frequently
  • 26. Physically restless when sleeping
  • 27. Does not react to pain (high pain tolerance)
12 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
Great list. I'm going to hold onto this.

Blogger Melissa said...
thanks for this list. Olivia will give us hugs, but when I carry her down the stairs or around, she will just usually pinch my neck or touch my shirt or hair and turn and face forward like you said D did. I guess she needs to learn.

Blogger Lea said...
I agree that people need to be educated and prepared. That is critical and it seems it does not always happen. We have been very blessed. We have never seen any signs of attachment issues with either of our boys, praise God.

Blogger Calico Sky said...
thanks for posting this!

Blogger jessy said...
Thank you for adding that sometimes love is NOT enough. That is a crucial thing to remember. Education is great, adoptive parents should get as much as they can, but in some ways, I think it sets us up for large amounts of the shame you spoke of. When we read about all these techniques, interventions, and strategies, we start to feel that we can take anything on, we alone can heal this child, it's up to US. When that doesn't happen (or doesn't happen as soon as it did for so-and-so), the logical thing to conclude is: "I must be doing something wrong." "I am a failure." That is a huge weight of shame to be carrying around your neck. The truth is that these children have been hurt, they have been damaged, they have been wounded. It doesn't matter how "great" the orphanage was, or how wonderful the caregivers are. Children belong in families. When they aren't in a family their hearts shrivel up. Some children bounce back and blossom with little or no trouble. But some don't. That is not said often enough in the adoption world. SOME DON'T.
My baby is blossoming, slowly, slowly, slowly. But some days it is a Herculean effort.

Blogger Esther said...
Thanks for posting this list!! Great resource.

Blogger Jennefer said...
For us - I notice the eye contact thing as the biggest obstacle to overcome. I don't really see any of the other things- except sometimes she stares off into space and looks quite sad- like in a trance or something.

Blogger Unknown said...
Great reminders of what to watch for. Even in older children, similar behaviors could apply. Although I like to think we are not going blind - I am sure I will be blindsided at least a few times with attachment related behaviors.

Blogger 6blessings said...
Just catching up. I think it was so great of you to send the SOS that letter. I'm sure they will be so appreciative. The Embassy change is interesting. I'm sure that has a small inkling to do with some of the problems some have had to experience when their "printing" problems happened and people had to wait overnight for visas like we did. Hope accreditation is right around the corner. You're still on my list.

Blogger M- said...
Thats a great list, thanks for posting it. I'll be printing it for my trips. M-

Blogger Michelle Smiles said...
This is a great resource for all adoptive parents. I find myself checking this list often on the web to reassure myself that she is attaching to me. I'm rather neurotic about it. Thankfully out of 27, only 3 or 4 items concern me.

Blogger TraciB said...
I am glad to see the list... I wish it were posted more often and with the highlights you offered. Such a good reference point. P had pretty much every one of those and some (even more troubling) not listed there. She continues to struggle to attach in her new home.
We continue to follow her progress and pray for her future. Her new family is very patient and has lots of good support and therapies.
I do not think PAP's realize the stress that attachment issues can cause within a family. A very good book on this subject is "An Unlit Path" by Deborah Hannah. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1600344852/103-6394096-9033411


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™