Letter to Secretary of the State of Texas
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
A personal letter to Secretary of State Roger Williams and staff

May 15, 2007

Dear Mr. Williams and staff,

I am sure it is not often you are able to see the face of the child you are helping to come home by providing these seemingly never-ending apostilles. So I wanted to share with you a picture of our sweet V who is living in an orphanage in ____, Russia and to thank you for your part in helping us bring our daughter and new sister home where she can enjoy the benefits of a loving family.

We have been waiting on our courtdate in Russia to adopt V for over 15 months now and we are on our third dossier. I have lost count of the number of apostilles we have had to request for this adoption. I want to thank you for always being timely in producing and returning the apostilles to us. Each time we are asked for updated paperwork, we feel an urgency to get it done as quickly as possible.

We also want to express our gratitude for the $100 maximum that is required per adoption. If not for this cap, we would have spent thousands of dollars on apostilles for V’s adoption. We very much appreciate this gesture by the state of Texas and your office.

Sincerely,
The Y family

*********************************************************

To my blog readers,

My Mama always taught me that you can attract more bees with honey than with vinegar. I'm sure the people at the SOS sometimes feel overburdened by the number of adoption apostilles they must produce each day. Sometimes it helps (not just oneself, but those coming after) to take a moment and share a kind thought. I know most families do not have a picture to submit with their apostille requests, so hopefully V's sweet face will help keep the Texas SOS motivated especially as accreditations come soon and their jobs will no doubt become more stressful as the number of requests come pouring in.

So, I thought I'd share with you the letter I have sent to the SOS with our latest request for 56 apostilles!! Sorry you don't get to see the picture of V's sweet face! Maybe soon!

11 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
That's a very toughing letter. A good reminder for them of the help that they are providing to others.
If only they could help bring her home faster.

Blogger Tami said...
What a great letter. I'm sure it will make someone's day...and help them realize what a big part they are in bringing V and other children home.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
What a wonderful, thoughtful idea! I bet you they were speechless when they got that letter! Probably used to complaints...not used to someone being so kind and appreciative of what they do. That was a very sweet thing for you to do! But that is what I would expect of you!! Still gotta get together for lunch! Blessings and prayers!!

Blogger Jenni said...
That's an excellent idea, and I'm sure your letter will be appreciated. I wish California had a maximum on the cost of apostilles. We spent more than $3000 on them for our adoption (they are $20 each, and when you are adopting two kids at once, it adds up). It is wonderful that Texas helps adoptive families in this way.

I hope V is home soon so we can see her adorable little face too.

Blogger Maggie said...
Good idea, Suz. I also adhere to the honey concept. (Although I'll pull out the vinegar if I have to.)

The cost difference of apostilles from state to state is appalling. The process is the same, so why does my state charge $1 per document and California charge $20 per document? Craziness. I actually like Texas' method -- charge a bit more per document but have a cap on it. That makes a lot of sense to me. (Though I'll never, ever complain about my state's low-cost apostilles. I know I was lucky with that.)

Blogger Unknown said...
56 Apostilles?!?!? Wow. This is a great letter. I'm sure the ladies in the office will appreciate it. Those ladies whom I have personally seen face-to-face too many times to count (well, OK maybe only 5 or 6, but it's a long drive to Austin just to watch them spend 3 minutes stapling their certification to our docs.) If we have to go again (and I hope that we do not) I will have to remember to bring a picture of D with me to show them, that's a great idea!

Blogger jessy said...
Way to go Suz! I never thought of the SOS, but we sent flowers to our notary when we finally got the very last of the last of the paperwork done. She was a Godsend, putting signatures on doucments late in to the night in her houserobe.

Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...
I think it's great you wrote and sent that letter. I often think of writing letters like that to thank people for doing a good job, but then I get busy and never actually do it. Thanks for the reminder that positive letters are as important to send as complaint letters.

Blogger Rachael said...
56?!! Do you have to apostille each PAGE? Yikes.

Very nice letter, by the way. Have you written any to the Russian MOE? Maybe some "honey" would help. Probably not.

Blogger Jewels of My Heart said...
What a lovely gesture on your part. I am certain it made their day. On behalf of all of the rest of us that have not done that I say, Thank You.

Blogger Chelley said...
Very well writen... I am sure that when they read it and see that sweet face that it will def brighten there day


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™