The first time ever you see their face . . .
Thursday, February 22, 2007
Today I want to talk about the very first time you meet your child-to-be.

First of all, congratulations to Joe and Dawn as they met their little boy, Stephen, for the first time!

Dawn wrote, "He seems so tiny compared to the pictures we have seen."

I think nearly every adoptive parent has this revelation. Seeing them in pictures and actually holding them in real life is so different! Don't be surprised when they are so much smaller than you'd imagined - expect it! Then, too, they will most likely be dressed in layers and layers and layers of clothes - so just wait till you unpeel them from all those layers and see what's really going on under there! A great way to discreetly "check them out" is to bring some clothes to try on them in order to gauge their size. Bring a pair or two of shoes in different sizes as well, then leave them for the baby home to use for the children.

There has been a discussion on FRUA chat lately about the first meeting and some things to bring to break the ice with the child. Many people have brought Cheerios or Gerber fruit puffs. I brought fruit puffs on our first visit with V, however we've never been allowed to feed the children any outside food in the orphanage (not with D's adoption or V's). But it doesn't hurt to take them just in case, it doesn't hurt to ask. Feeding the child is a terrific way to initiate bonding and trust. We have been allowed to feed both girls during our first trips, but it has always been food provided by the baby home. I'm absolutely positive that the experience of being fed by their Mama and Papa to-be is MUCH different than the way they are usually fed - much slower!

The toys that you bring should be of many different textures and sensory stimulators. You may think that keys and rattles and teething rings would be too "young" for a toddler, but these children have probably not been exposed to many toys and you'll be surprised that some of these more babyish toys are some of their favorites. They may be scared of toys that make music or any other electronic sounds. But then again, some are absolutely enthralled - so bring one or two. Try many different things. Stacking cups are super, I think all babies and toddlers will love them. A small inflatable ball is a great idea and very easy to pack. In order to help V remember us, we took these toys all in a really bright backpack (it is an old NickJr backpack with the Face character). It is very visually stimulating. Even though it had been a long time in between trips, I really think V remembered that backpack.

Take as many pictures as you possibly can. Video is great too, but pictures are more readily looked at once you are home and waiting for the second trip. We just turned on the video camera and set it up in a corner of the small room we were playing in and just left it there during our visits. So we have some weird shots in there, but most are great and we didn't have to worry about it.

Take a blanket to spread on the floor to play on. D likes to look back at the pictures of us playing with her in the baby home and see her familiar blankets in that setting and now at home too. It's good anyhow to have that clean surface to sit around while you're playing.

V was very interested in the little book we took. It is a vinyl One Fish, Two fish book that is really meant to be played with in the bathtub. She loved looking at the pictures, turning pages and pointing to the pictures. These are all developmental marker "tests" as well as fun for the child.

Bring a flexible measuring tape that is at least 36 inches (or longer than the child you are adopting). It is good to take some measurements for yourself. Measure the head circumferance and the child's length.

TAKE A DISPOSABLE CAMERA to leave between trips. I could kick myself a bazillion times for forgetting this on our first trip! I missed 7 months of V's life. I took a camera in October when we visited and had the instructions translated into Russian and taped to the camera. I hope that there are many pictures on there when we return.

It is one of the most wonderful moments of your life when you first meet that child. You can never be fully prepared for the feelings and events that will happen on that day, but it is good to be as prepared as possible.

**Please feel free to add any other first meeting suggestions in the comments section.
7 Comments:
Blogger Rachael said...
The little girl we are adopting is older (6), but stickers books were a huge hit with her. On the first day together we just sat and did stickers together. The biggest icebreaker for us though, was our digital camera. It has a fairly large screen, and she LOVED checking it after every picture we took. We were able to get some of the pictures developed while we were in St. Petersburg, and we left them with her in a little album so she could look at them until we return.

Blogger Melissa said...
we did the throw away camera also and I finally got to see K's group mates eating and pottying. We were never allowed in the room when they were there. It was a good idea. I also left a small photo album with them of us, our house, his room, etc. for the caregivers to show him while we were away so he could get acquainted and recognize it when he finally came home. I put little labels in the corner in both English and Russian so they could tell him what each thing or person was. I don't know how often they looked at it, but you can give it a try.

Blogger M- said...
I'm not going on my first trip for a while, however, I've started to accumulate some first trip toys (for a boy, under 18 months). I found the other days "shaky cars" by FP, you shake them, and they go across the room, no batteries needed. They are great, but fairly loud, so we'll see if he likes them or not (no referral yet). I also found a ball at BRU, that is plastic (looks like big mesh), but you can collapse it and then when you let go, it just goes back into ball shape. It bounces, and I think it will be easy to get little fingers around. Megan

Blogger Calico Sky said...
What a wonderful post! So many great ideas, I could almost, almost imagine what it was like and what it will be like.
Thank you!

Blogger Melissa said...
Thank you for this post, Suz! Having just received our referral, I am so interested in learning all I can from others' experiences before we travel. I was interested before...but I am REALLY interested now! I love all the advice you have given throughout your blog - your experience is so valuable!!!

Blogger Lisa said...
I am SO READY for that moment! Counting down to April...

Blogger Maggie said...
Peanut is my closest experience to this. Like Rachael commented, it's a bit different for older kids. My digital camera and photos of my dog were the biggest ice-breakers. The only thing I wish I had done differently when I met him is take a few moments to look around and see the reactions of the other kids/families. But I didn't -- I only had eyes for my boy.


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™