My little trooper . . .
Thursday, December 28, 2006

We went to D's regularly scheduled Pediatric Opthomologist appointment yesterday morning at 7:30 a.m. I have been noticing that her weak eye has been going up and out lately. She has strabismus which caused her eye to turn inward. We've seen this up and out movement before and it has indicated in the past that her glasses were becoming too strong and we needed to step down in her prescription - a good thing. However, yesterday the doctor explained that her muscle should be able to overcome that change without moving up and out. We have been seeing him since she was 13 months old and he felt that the time had come to do the muscle surgery.

We began discussing dates (around the 3rd week in January) and then he said he had a slot for today at 1:30! The more I thought about it, I said let's go ahead with it because that will give me less time to worry and fret and less time for D to pick up on me worrying and fretting, causing her to worry and fret. So - off we went to schedule the surgery. Next off to Target to get some new jammies to wear (we'd only brought 2 sets with us to Dallas and they were now dirty) and some jello. The anesthesiologist called me on my cell phone and we discussed D's health history. This is the first time I've really had to encounter the lack of knowledge we have of her first year of life. However, the anesthesiologist said that by now we would probably have seen any health issues present themselves and D has always been extremely healthy. She had to eat her jello before 10:30, 3 hours before the surgery. But the anesth. wanted her to eat a little clearish something since she is so small and it would be hours and hours before she would eat anything again.

We just told D we were going to have an adventure. That her doctor needed to tighten up the muscle in her eye which is kind of like a rubber band. She would drink some sleepy juice and she wouldn't even know what was going on. At the hospital she had fun putting on the special gown and she said they were treating her like a princess with all the pillows, warm blankets, coloring books, little stuffed fish, etc.

Mommy did pretty well too, the hardest part was after the doctor came out to tell us she was OK and then we had to wait for them to come get us to see her in recovery - about 30 loooonnnnnng minutes.

So, we're home now and she's in the living room floor with Daddy playing My Little Pony memory card game. She's only had a tiny bit of pain and is being so brave about taking her eye drops and the super stinky antibiotic.

So, that is what's been happening in our neck of the woods . . .
14 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
What a brave little girl (and mommy!).

Anonymous Anonymous said...
My goodness what an adventure. Glad it worked out and she is doing good.

Blogger Jenni said...
She sure is a trooper! I'm glad everything went well and she is doing OK.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
She is such a sweetheart, bless her. I am glad she is recovering so well, you obviously have a very strong kiddo!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm glad they could get you in so quickly. She's a trouper!!

Blogger Betsy said...
Shame on you for not letting us worry with you! I'm glad to hear everything went so well. She'll be a superstar when she goes back to school and gets to tell everyone that she had surgery!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Glad that things turned out well!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Glad she is doing well! Hugs and love to you both!

Blogger Chris Goeppner said...
I'm so glad she's doing well. My husband had the same surgery when he was young. Thanks for your comment on my blog, it's comforting to know none of us are alone in the process.

Blogger Lisa said...
I'm with you... get it done as soon as possible before I can worry myself into a state! I'm glad everything went well. Hugs, Lisa

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Of course D embraced the adventure, and who can resist the flowy gown? I'm glad all went well.

Blogger 6blessings said...
Oh my! That was an adventure! I'm glad it all went well and she had very little pain and felt they were treating her like a princess. That's great. I hope you see great improvement. You are both troopers!!

BTW, she is just soooo cute!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm so happy things went so well! She sounds like she was so brave.
hugs,
Laura

Blogger Melissa said...
I am glad the surgery went well. I was born cross eyed and had muscle surgery. I never wore glasses. I was actually a guinea pig for this new surgery back in the 70's (before laser). But it was worth it. I am so glad you gave her a heads up on what was going to happen. I was only 3/4 when I got the surgery, but I remember the trauma. My parents didn't feel I would understand what was going on so they never told me what we were going to the hospital for. All I remember is several nurses had to hold me down so the doctor could put the gas mask over my face. I was trying to fight for my life thinking they were trying to suffocate me by putting something over my mouth and nose.


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™