Yes - we went to Russia
Monday, October 23, 2006
But no, V is not home yet. We just went to visit her because it has been so long since we've seen her. She is doing wonderfully and we were very happy with how things are with her. We were able to spend portions of 3 days with her and they were more "lenient" this time on our time with her. We were allowed to go into her Groupa and see where she lives her day to day life and her little bed where she sleeps in the room with 15 other babies.

She is still teeny-tiny, just 17 pounds 14 ounces and is now 28 inches tall. She's still in 9 months clothes, but can wear 12 months too. I took a pair of pajamas that I bought for D and V to match (there's a pic of D in her jammies that match V's), but I was afraid V would outgrow them before she came home, so I left them there. I got lots of pictures of her in them, though in case I can't find the exact pair. I took two pairs of shoes, size 4 and 3 and the 4's are still a little big, but the 3's too small so I left both those pairs since they were white and she won't be able to wear them after Easter (you know no white shoes before Easter :o)

She is doing great developmentally. About 3-4 months behind according to my What To Expect the Toddler Years book. She really surprised us! She's running all over the place and is very social. She is really affectionate, but she is indiscriminately affectionate, so we'll need to work on that when she gets home. She's just got a really great little personality. I saw not one bit of the rocking that we saw in March. That's not to say she doesn't do it to go to sleep, but at least she didn't feel overwhelmed and rock to soothe herself. She was way too busy for that!

We weren't able to do anything further toward getting a court date, there is nothing that can be done until our agency's accreditation is renewed. But we are so hoping that it comes soon and that we'll be able to be over there quickly once it comes through. A representative from the Ministry of Education was at the orphanage while we were visiting, she was observing another family who was about to go to court and she stopped in our little "closet room" to visit with us a minute. I think it can only help our case for them to see our commitment to V and that we are dedicated to bringing her into our family.

It was 100 times harder to leave her though than it was the first time. I had a mini-melt down. I was crying so hard, even our coordinator was crying. I don't remember crying that hard since I was a child. You know the kind where you're crying so hard you have hiccup breathing? My sister always thought I was acting when I did that, but it is real. Too real.

The time went by so quickly and we made such a fast trip that we were just wiped out. We flew from Dallas to Atlanta - 5 hour layover - Atlanta to Moscow. Then we had 5 hours to kill before we could go to the train, so we went to the Kremlin then ate lunch at the Starlite Diner then went to the Cathedral of Christ Our Saviour then to the train. On the train I had a bit of a breakdown from the shear exhaustion. We rode the 15 hours overnight to the region and when our coordinator picked us up she asked if we wanted to go to the apartment and rest and shower or go straight to the orphanage. When we asked her what hours we could visit V she told us only from 9:30 - 12 on Monday and it was alreay 9:15! Of course we then went straight to the orphanage!! We hadn't had a shower in nearly 3 days!

When they brought her in, I just grabbed her from the "nannie" and started bawling! I was hoping I didn't scare her! But she was fine. We both held her for a while and then it occurred to us that she could walk now so we put her down and witnessed her first steps in front of us. Then she was off and running! We only had about an hour and a half with her because they came to get her at 11:15! So much for the 12 -o-clock timeframe. We spoke with the orphanage director and he said we could meet with the doctor the next day at 3 p.m. so we came at 3 to see V and she was in there with us while we talked to the Doctor. I'm glad I had my questions ready. We were supposed to see her from 3-5 that day, but we ended up staying till 6:30. That is when we took her to her groupa and saw her bedroom and all the little toddlers sitting on their potties getting ready for bedtime. She had missed her supper, so she sat down at her little table to eat and she kept getting up and coming over and hugging our legs and then running back to her table. It was precious. The last day we spent from 3-5 with her and then it was over way too soon! The one "nannie" who just comes and whisks her away was the same one who came and got her that last time. I just watched them walk down the hall and V was smiling and waving at me as they rounded the corner. Then I lost it. The social worker was just hugging me and saying who knows what. I was a wreck. Then we were off to the train. I just cried the whole way. We took the train to Moscow Wednesday night and arrived Thursday morning. We spent the night at the Ukraina and then headed to the airport Friday morning. It was a fast trip and we're paying the price in jet-lag.

I am so glad we were able to see her, though. I would do it all again - but hopefully we'll be back for her soon. We are praying so hard that she'll be home by Christmas, but it'll take a miracle.

I wish so badly that I could post a picture for you all. She is such an angel.

I'm sorry I couldn't tell you all on the blog before we left, but we just wanted to be sooooo careful. I didn't intentionally wait tonight to finish the story, but I was babysitting for our friends. They adopted their daughter who was born on March 7, when we were in Russia on the first trip. So, I was very busy tonight with an almost 8 month old and trying to get D ready for bed. It's going to take some time for me to find a routine once V comes home! It's hard to juggle it all. I don't know how Kim does it with 6!!!

The stocking was bought in the gift shop at the Ukraina. We got D a red one and V a blue one. I think they were about $9 or $12 each. I didn't think that was too bad at all. We had seen them at the market last time and didn't buy them, and I have regretted it. So we went ahead and got them. We found the Cheburashka in our region for only $5! I'd looked all around Moscow last trip and couldn't find one. We also got the Russian Alphabet blocks at the Ukraina.

Ok, the beans are spilled. Please don't egg my house!
18 Comments:
Blogger Lisa said...
Oh Suz,

How wonderful that you got to spend time with V! And how heartbreaking leaving without her again sounds! I'm praying that you will be back soon to bring her home to her family.

Hugs, Lisa

Blogger kate said...
Welcome home, Suz! What a wonderful visit with V. I'm so glad you got that opportunity--and that your dedication to her was seen by officials. I'm praying that she's home SOON!

Blogger sandy said...
Suz, I am so hopeful that you will be receiving news soon. You are in my thoughts daily. I am really glad that you were able to go and see V, but I can't even imagine how difficult it was to leave to come home. I will be praying for you!

Blogger Deb said...
Your trip sounds like a whirlwind, but a good time with V. So glad you were able to go spend some time with her.

(I was kidding about the egging by the way)

Blogger 6blessings said...
Oh, Suz, I'm so glad that you got to see little V. I'm sure it spoke volumes to the Minister of Education to see that you had flown all the way there to visit her. I'm so sorry for the wait. I wish I could magically snap my fingers and your wait would be over. I'm still praying.

I'm hoping to see pics of the matching jammies with both girls in the pic very soon. D is adorable.

I really wish you could order those stockings somewhere. They are wonderful.

Blogger Yeah So said...
Wow what a whirlwind. You would think they would be more accomdating since you traveled half way around the world. To only see V a few hours is so cruel. But at least you did get to spend quality time so it was worth it. I hope you can bring V home very soon.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
How great you were able to visit. I just can't imagine how hard it was for you to leave her this time. Hopefully that will be the last time you need to leave her there.

Blogger Betsy said...
What a whirlwind! Between the exhaustion and the emotion, I'm surprised you held it together at all. I'm glad you found her happy and healthy. We'll just keep praying for accreditation and then your court date so you can bring V home and get her fattened up!

Blogger Elle said...
;) here's hoping for news soon!

Blogger jessy said...
So glad you're back safe and sound and that you found V doing so well. She is sooooo lovely! We bought the stocking in Moscow, too, and turns it out to be one of the best purchases we made. That, and the little wooden ornaments from St. Pete to add to the tree. It will put a little Russia into every Christmas.
How tiny V is! Makes Baby R seem like quite the porker. He's five months and 18 pounds, but that not really big at all by U.S. standards.

Blogger Denise :o) said...
How exciting! I'm so happy to hear you were able to visit V!! Sounds like leaving was very hard. I hope you get news of your court date soon.

Blogger Lauri said...
Oh my gosh... how wonderful you were able to see her and how bittersweet your story is. I could feel you pain in your words, I will hug my girl a little tighter because of that. I pray you get a court date soon. I cant wait for the day you bring her home

Anonymous Anonymous said...
OMGsh! You went to Russia. How neat that you were able to do that. I bet it was SO hard to leave. I hope you hear news soon!!

Blogger Jenni said...
I am so surprised that you were able to go to Russia and visit V! That is WONDERFUL! The wait must be so hard, but it is great that you were able to spend some time with her and that the ministry official saw your dedication. I'm hoping for some good news soon!

Blogger Calico Sky said...
How wonderful to read about your trip! I can't wait until you bring V home with her family.
Lots of prayers

Blogger Chris Goeppner said...
Hi Suz,
This is Penny from "Life and Times" and "goeppneradoption@blogspot.com". I wanted to respond to your comment. I didn't know you could make more than 2 trips to see your child. How long was it since your first trip? We got a call from our coordinator today, we've been waiting for our first trip dates. We were told that our region (Krasnoyarsk) is no longer allowing "new" families to move forward with their adoption until our agency is reaccredited. I don't know what "new" means to them, we are registered to adopt in Russia, we have recieved and accepted our referrals. We hope to find out more info soon. We covet your prayers and we'll be praying that you'll bring home your child soon as well.

Blogger Laura said...
Suz! I'm so happy for you. What a wonderful treat, to visit. I can imagine how hard leaving a 2nd time must have been. Sounds like you had a wonderful, peace of mind, visit.
I am really praying that you return to her soon, and she comes home.
hugs!
Laura

Anonymous Anonymous said...
My heart goes out to you. What a huge journey this has been. I will be so happy and relieved to see you have brought your baby home.
Good for you taking a trip solely to visit! Thats wonderful. I know it must have been like a dream as exhausted as you must have been. Please come by and see my daughter and meet my little family. We too live in Dallas,Texas! All my best!
Traci
http://traceeburnm.spaces.live.com/


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™