Were you wondering?
Friday, October 06, 2006
When was I ever going to post anything new?!?

Boy, it's been chaotic around here. First off D had the Rockin' Pneumonia. Then all the updating of the paperwork began. I think I'm finished with this round, unless they come up with something else! When I read Dawn's post about having her paperwork complete, I figured that must be a huge difference between Kaz adoption and Russia. I don't know if I'll ever be complete with paperwork on this adoption! It took me nearly all of the past two weeks to get it all done, and I think I'm finally finished. I had to fax the copies of the docs (not the apostilles) to our agency and I think it's the longest fax I've ever sent! 22 pages!

We're getting ready to go on a trip next week and I've been trying to get everything together for that. I think I've contracted D's Rockin' pneumonia, but I haven't had a chance to get to the doctor! I'm going to have to go on Monday if I'm still coughing like this by then. I can't imagine flying next to ME with the sounds of my coughing up a lung every few minutes.

I had to take my van in this morning to the dealership to have it fixed. Yes, I joined the ranks of mini-van moms. I love my van, but it's making this dribbly sound on the front tire and I've been afraid my tire was just going to dribble off and go rolling down the road without me. Of course after I waited for two hours in the waiting room they come back to tell me that it's my strut and they don't have that particular model in stock and will need to order it. Can I come back next week? No, I'm going on a trip next week. Will my tire dribble off and leave me? Am I safe to drive with a stunted strut? Yes, I'm safe - but how far am I going to drive? To Dallas?! Ok, I'm good.

But what happened in the waiting room while I waited is what has me a little worked up. An older man, probably in his 70's was sitting next to me while we waited. We had chatted a bit earlier and he seemed like a nice friendly, grandfatherly sort. I was working on my new book (which I highly recommend) Teach Yourself Beginner's Russian. Well, I was working for a good bit and was pretty proud of myself because the first few chapters I was just whizzing through. It's kind of a workbook where you decipher the word in Russian and fill in the English equivalent. So, the older man asks me, "what are you working on, a word scramble?" " No," I reply, " I'm learning Russian." He physically leaps up, bounds to the other side of the tiny room and looks at me like I just said, "No, I have leprosy!" To which I look at him as if he has three heads! He said, "why are you learning Russian!" Although I wanted to say, "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!" I calmly told him that my husband and I are in the process of adopting a baby girl from Russia. He answers, "well, you'll just need to teach her English!" "Of course we will, but I'll need to be able to communicate with her a bit before she learns English. I need to be able to tell her things like "it's ok", "are you hungry?", "Mama loves you." He nodded and walked outside. I think he was a little ashamed of himself. He should have been. Of course I can understand that someone of his generation might have lingering thoughts of the cold war era. But that was then and this is now. I tell you, I was hurt. This is the first negative reaction I've had during this adoption. The general reaction is that of excitement for us and for V. So, this kind of threw me for a loop. Well, a while later he came back in and started asking me some questions about Russian adoption, why did we choose Russia, etc. I am proud of myself for staying calm, and for even not crying because I've just been in that kind of place lately. But I calmly explained a-lot to him and showed him pictures of D and V. Then he told me about being in Germany when the Berlin wall was put up and how he patroled the borders. I'll give it to him, he came a long way in that 45 minutes from acting like I had leprosy to genuinely wishing me luck when I left to get into my van with the dribbly tire. We're advocating for our kids, even before they come home. Come home V - please come home!
7 Comments:
Blogger Calico Sky said...
Ooohh Suz, I'm sorry. The negative comments are oh so hard (and I have unfortunately had my share of them). I think you handled it sooo well, you kept your calm and obviously because of how gracefully you handled it, you were able to get him to examine his feelings. How wonderful. You can ad Child and Russian Advocate to your resume!!!

Blogger Deb said...
I'm not sure what to think of your story. You did keep so calm. It's great. Some people just have no manners. I am glad however that he warmed up to the idea.

Have a super great time on your trip! :-)

Blogger Melissa said...
Wow Suz that was a powerful entry. At least it ended on a good note. I don't remember if I ever posted this on my site, but I had a childhood friend who gave me a lot of grief over the phone when I told her we were adopting from Russia. She kept saying things like, "There are so many children in the US that need homes. Didn't you even look into it? And kept pestering me with offensive questions. We didnt talk for several months. I finally spoke to her the other day and she seemed a lot calmer and even inquired how things were going with the adoption. She seemed genuinely happy for us.

You were a lot more graceful than I was. I was fighting back with her over the phone that day. You got it when you said we fight for them before we bring them home.

I didn't call her for many months because I only want positive energy around me in this roller coaster ride we call adoption.

At least it ended up on a good note for you before you left the car place. I went many months before it was civil. Luckily that was the only really neg. comment I had.

Keep your chin up! You did great!

Blogger jessy said...
It is hard! As pastor and Mrs. to some really OLD people, we've had our share of, "Why'd you wanna gitcha one a them Feriner's?" speeches. The most devestating, in the form of a letter from DH's own grandparents! At our last church (when we were starting the process) a very old, respected deacon who had served in the war stood up and delivered the most moving speech about fighting along side the Russians (if you'll remember, they were our allies before they were our enemies.) He spoke about their bravery, their selflessness, about their super human ability to endure hardship and stalwhark perseverence. He maintained that if the Russians had not held the line, the Germans would surely have won the war.
He has since gone home to be with Jesus, but I know he has an extra jewel in his crown for that speech. No one in the congregation would have dared to make a negative peep about the Russian race after it, I tell you. When people make ugly comments, I remember Bro. Woodrow. Not that I go into a diatribe about the Russian's ability to wage war, but I remember his kind and well timed words that did nothing but smooth my way, and it makes it easier to get over the "bumps" of the present communication. I'm going to pray for you alot of Bro. Woodrows and few Mr.-Car-Garage-Guys.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Jeez loouise. People can be weird!

You should have cussed at him in Russian like a crazy person! That'll teach him!

(You're probably more mature than I am. You handled it much better than I would have!)

One of my friends adopted a baby from Korea. A woman in the grocery store came up to her and said "Oh, what kind of man fathered your child?" She said calmly "Oh, I don't remember which one is the father. There were so many." and she walked away. Ha! People like that are just not worth worrying about.

Good for you for learning Russian!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
This is your secret blog pal. I hope you are feeling better for your trip. When you come back home, something should be waiting for you to cheer you up. I will be sending out something on Tuesday. Enjoy your trip!

Blogger Suz said...
OOOO thanks SBP! I can't wait. Still not feeling up to par, I'm going to call the doctor here in a bit and see if he can fix me up.


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™