Tuesday, May 08, 2007
From Virginia Citrano on Russia Adoption Blog:

Lisa Finneran and her husband Mike are just back from visiting 12 Russian orphanages and they think $1 can go a long way. Especially if they get one million of them.

On their recent trip, during which the couple saw where nearly 1,200 Russian orphans live, has inspired them to take their efforts to the next level, by raising $1 million, one dollar at a time.

"There were faces there that will stick with me forever," says Lisa, a journalist and mother to twins adopted from Russia in 2003 and a bio surprise baby. "I wanted to do something to make their lives better." And to the Finnerans, improving orphanage facilities is the best way. One hundred dollars will buy two beds for an orphanage; $1,000 will buy a washer and dryer.

Lisa Finneran says she learned to distinguish an orphanage's quality by its smell. "If you smelled cabbage, it was an average orphanage. If you smelled blini, it was a wonderful place. If you smelled human waste, it was pretty bad."

Thanks to the power of the Internet, the Finnerans have been able to revamp the ArkAngels Web site to collect donations as small as one dollar. The funds are collected by PayPal (you don’t have to be a PayPal member to use it) and will be routed to Children's Hope Chest, a Colorado-based outreach organization that has NGO status in Russia.

As ArkAngel collects its dollars (you can watch the countdown on Lisa's blog), Lisa can't shake the memory of one little girl she met. "Olga ran after me in the snow and just started sobbing," Lisa says. "I had to take her arms and put them away from me and tell her everything would be OK and walk away."

So . . . got a $1??


James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
5 Comments:
Blogger Suz said...
I've sent my $1 - will you?

Blogger Deb said...
Wow! That is amazing. Her site is so touching. I'm sending my dollar.

Blogger 6blessings said...
I have also sent money. I also felt strongly about reposting it on my blog. I hope that's okay. I think this is an incredible endeavor.

Blogger Calico Sky said...
I do and I will!
thank you for letting us know about this!

YES! I just sent 10! I just put this on my blog too! Thank you for posting about this!
Adrienne


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™