Bits and Pieces
Sunday, September 24, 2006
I keep thinking of this little bit of information and haven't really found a place to put it. I really think it would be helpful information for those adopting smaller kids, toddlers and babies - the size you can hold and walk around with.

When we were at the orphanage on the first trip to visit V, another family from our agency (I'll call them J&DL) was with us visiting their daughter-to-be (yes, they're still waiting too). Their baby girl just cried and cried because they were honestly strangers to her. The baby wasn't dealing well with that. So, like any other American mother, DL was holding her and bouncing her and patting her bottom. Wouldn't that be your first instinct of comforting a crying baby? It would be mine.

Our Region coordinator came out and told her, "hold her close and press your cheek tightly to hers". She quieted down a bit. Still sort of whimpering, but not the all out frantic cry. After the baby calmed down, our RC told DL that she has observed that American mommies try to soothe their babies-to-be with this bouncing and bottom patting and it doesn't work with these babies because that is not how they are soothed. They do the firm hold and pressing the cheek thing instead.

I don't know why, but this really made an impact on me. Such a small thing, but so important. And who would have ever thought twice about it?! I am so glad that our RC thought to "help" us in this way. Of course it seemed a bit of the babushka bossiness in the moment, but what a true help! I thought back to our plane trip home with D when she was 11 months old. If I had of known this one small thing, could it have helped me calm her on the flight? Of course I was bouncing her and patting her bottom all the way across the Atlantic! I was obviously overstimulating her and making matters worse!

Maybe this is a regional thing which applies only to our region in Russia. Maybe bouncing and patting a baby on the bottom is a regional thing right here in the USA, distinct to the south, or even Texas. But if my sharing this can help just one new Mommy - even if just to give her another choice in her arsenal of calming techniques on the flight home - it's worth my sharing. Don't you think? Who'd-a-thunk-it?

till later . . .
8 Comments:
Blogger Elle said...
I have never heard of that. I wouldn't have thought it either. I sway with Pickle and he likes it. In fact the strong holding time is what he screams the most at. Of course he only gets that when he has the uncontrolled tantrums for no reason.

Blogger Denise :o) said...
That is exactly what I've always done and what I've always been told to do. In fact, I was even told once to pat the butt harder when the baby wouldn't calm down right away. I am so glad you posted this. Now maybe I'll be able to sooth Evan when he's upset. I will certainly try this method first.

Blogger Deb said...
Thanks for posting the tip. It's going down in my book of how-to's.

Blogger Maggie said...
What an interesting cultural difference!

Blogger Michelle said...
Hi! What a great post! I adopted an older boy from russia in 2001. Since then, I have learned so much about how to soothe kids. Not only that, I work as a pediatric Occupational therapist, and this is something we teach parents all the time! Deep pressure is calming. Deep pressure to the joints, muscles and skin is one of the best things you can do for your child, and it is great for hyperactive older kids as well. I hope many people learn about this by reading your blog!

Michelle

Blogger U.N. Mama said...
Yes! It's a Russian thing- was in St. Petersburg too, and I've always massaged my daughter as this was done for her in the orphanage. It works :o)

Blogger kate said...
What a great insight! Thanks for sharing it. It's odd, isn't it, what seems instinctive should be universally instincitve...but it's soooo not.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
This is interesting (BTW I found your blog through "unexpected blessings". Here in South African we will also hold our baby tight...we only bounch our kids when they are fussy (not upset and )crying. We will however pat their bum while holding them close


Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™