Trip One - Part Seven
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Still Wednesday, March 8 -

After we left the orphanage around 2 p.m., we went back into the center of town for lunch. When asked what we'd like we thought we wanted to try the pizza place. Big mistake! This was not pizza like we know. It was weird! Now I'm pretty much always up to trying something new, but in my emotional state, we should have stuck to something more tried and true. At this place, you go up to the counter where there are all kinds of pizzas to choose from and you choose which pieces you want. Well, through all the translations, hubby thought he ended up choosing pretty well for the 3 of us. D was sad there was no pepperoni here, that is what she wanted. Two of the slices were some kind of meat that were just ok. But the other was FISH pizza! Ick and double Ick! Before we left, my tummy was beginning a bit of a revolt - but it wasn't quite . . .ready. Hubby had gone to the restroom there earlier, it was a his/hers type one seater. He came back and told me "you probably don't want to go in there." It had no seat top, just the rim, plus it was pretty dirty and nasty in there. So, I waited.

As we were leaving the pizza place, our driver got a ticket for making a u-turn.

As our region is the birthplace of Lenin, we went to the Lenin museum/memorial to have a look around. Of course we had seen it 4 years earlier in the beautiful glow of Autumn's glory. But the other family with us had never visited it, so off we went in the chilling snow of late Winter's rath. Of course, it was closed because it was Women's Day. So we just walked around outside. This picture is of D outside one of Lenin's childhood homes with our "gang" in the background.


As we were strolling around, I began having a very strong need to find a potty - soon! The nearest one was across the street at the hotel. So since I was going anyway, I brought D with me, because you never pass up an opportunity for a 5 year old to potty. I grabbed the handy roll of Charmin travel t-p and off we went. We entered the bathroom and oh my goodness, all the toilets were the kind with just a hole in the floor with two "pads" to place your feet beside. Panic began to set in! There was no way I was going to be able to do the business I needed to do on THAT! Especially not with the coat, tights, jeans, etc. etc. So D still insisted she needed to T-T so I let her give it a go, but the go ended up going all over my cute little snow boots! I didn't even try it.

So off we go back across the busy street back to the museum, and I still needed to really, really go bad! By the time I got back to hubby, I just broke down in tears. I'm sure our region coordinator (who speaks very little English) was wondering what on earth was the matter with me. The other lady traveling with us, told her I just must be so sad about leaving baby V. So we all cram back into the cars and arrive at another park with lots of memorials. By this point I have no idea where we were, I was nearly out of my mind with the need to find a bathroom! So, while the rest of the group strolled around the park, I sat in the car and waited. About 10 minutes later, hubby came back and told me they had seen a Philharmonic building where a concert was about to begin so surely they would have a bathroom for me there. So we take off down there with our region coordinator and she tells the door attendant that I really need a bathroom, so the kind lady allows us to come inside. This was beyond humiliating, but so desperate was I! So we walk and walk and walk inside this building, down some stairs, behind the stage, and finally find the bathroom. Hubby and coordinator stand outside the doorframe (no door). And do you know what?!! Another hole in the ground!!! This one however was up on a little step thing, so I was desperate and decided I was using it no matter what. So, I took my little charmin and made a "seat" around the hole and then I contorted my body in this tiny space and sat on my little homemade toilet. Then I had to figure a way to get myself unfolded and up from that cramped position! Oh my - a humiliating experience all around.

And what was my lesson in all of this?! #1 don't eat strange pizza and #2 if I ever "sort of" need to go - and there is a standing toilet of any sort, with or without a seat - GO!

till later . . .

Online Degree Programs
Locations of visitors to this page
Read my VisualDNA Get your own VisualDNA™